The Shaw Foundation in Singapore was set up in 1957 by the Shaw brothers with the overriding principle that wealth contributed by society should be returned and in generous measures. It is one of the largest philanthropic organisations in the world.
Funding comes from investments as well as various prime properties donated by the Shaws to the foundation. This includes the prime land housing Shaw Centre. All revenue collected from the 25 storey luxury office block have been given away to various charities since the late 70s.
Since its establishment the foundation has distributed over US$150 million to education, welfare, medicine, arts and heritage, including its latest donations to the National Kidney Foundation, the National University of Singapore and Singapore Repertory Theatre.